Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Moguls are not Mole Hills

I figure it is my obligation to trail that last post with something less unpleasent. But of course, i could never neglect these unpleasentries...i wont hide it...here comes the rant!

Moguls. The last thing any ski student learns. Admittedly, I never learned them quite so well. You never knew if it was going to be icey doom or what. If you go over the top of one of them accidently- you're done for. That's it. You're just gonna fly to the next top and so on, out of control.

And if you go inbetween, your focus needs to be rediculous, because there are only 2 ways to go in any position. And forget falling. You'll lose everything and spend 30 minutes putting your peices back together. Trust me, I know, my worst falls were on mogul fields. One ski is 30 meters up and your poles somehow end up 10 meters into the woods, and who knows what happened to that other ski.

I havent rarely challenged the mogul field on the Black Diamonds. Not falling on Black Diamonds is usually my priority as opposed to challenging what happens when I do and happen to be on a mogul field at the same time.


I have tried "going slow" on them but your path is set. You can't slow down and you naturally speed up. Even with significant effort to go slow there is no good method and your at warp speed by the time you get out of the field- then all the 5 yr olds appear again and you have to hope you slow down without crashing...

What is so funny is that while you are on the lift, they look so small and harmless. Cute little snowy chicken pox! Then you determine...I can take those. Easy as pie! So few people are on it too! [i wonder why]

Then you get down there any they as big as you are. A common misconceptions about moguls is that they aren't that big. In some cases though, seeing over them is even a challenge.

I have to wonder if it is even possible for a snowboarder to take them. While skiiers can take "snowboarder" jumps- I have yet to see a snowboard on a mogul field. And if I do, it would certainly be a sight to remember...

No comments: