Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Dry Throat

In reading this book by some horribly arrogant author [Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance] I have come across that he thinks that people who will not read manuels and such are of the "romantic"mindset...aka unscientific [as he calls scientific to be "classical"]. He explains how they don't want to know how the device works because technology is strange to them yet they can not live without it and so on... And the reverse for scientists who are curious about such things.

But then I thought, where does that put me? I self-proclaimed scientist who abhors reading instructions or manuels EVER. I wouldn't say I don't wanna know how to use something. If there is no other way I would read the manuel.

But using a computer for example. My dad was the only one who did when I was younger but I wanted to. My mom knew very little and my dad was always gone so he couldn't teach me. I just tried to figure everything out myself and it worked- well enough that I can't stand other people asking me questions that I figured out by visually deducting. I might not be able to reconstruct a graphics card but I certainly know how to maintenance and construct a computer itself. But I need to re-teach mom how to clean the print heads? I just looked around until I found it the first time I did it, and it didnt take very long either. But she is willing to wait days for me to come home and do it.

I suppose that would make me a cross between science and art- not to say that might not already be obvious so long as Genetics is considered a science and drawing is considered an art. There can't be so few people out there that this isn't commonplace though. The author of the book barely acknowleges this possiblity and is of the analytical mind himself and trying to become more with the "romantic" sort.

Maybe it is in connection to his arrogance that he can't comprehend that other people might have approached the mid-line when he- in all his logic and high IQ- could not. It's the dumb-genius syndrome again. Why the most thoughtful and logical geniuses are also exceptionally lost- and the same for the inverse as well.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

writing is art. only you use words to express it.
-lea