Friday, July 13, 2007

all the dead animals

I was thinking as I walked home from work [the prof let me go cause I was asleep when he came in] this morning upon seeing a dead cat in the road and averting my eyes until I had passed it.

What if there was a dead mangled human in the road and all the cars just kept speeding past it? What if it was your cat? What if road kill wasn't as common as it is?

If there was a dead mangled human in the road with cars just passing it I am not sure what I would do. I might use the subconcious sunglasses everyone has and assume that it just couldn't be true. Some sort of joke. Or maybe it would just turn into an image of an empty human-less road invented by disbelief. The fact that people's minds will do that has been proven.

More likely, I think, is that I would see it. Double-take at the unusually large mass or the fact that the mangled mess intermingled with clothing. Just keep staring at it for a while. There would be nothing I could d anyway. Dragging a human out of the road would feel somewhat pointless after it's dead unless it was clearly my friend in which case I would probably be to overthrown with shock to remove his/her carcass from the road anyway. But only because people don't become road kill every day and when they are- they are removed from the street.

After I double-take and confirm with myself that it's a human I would probably feel pretty nervous that everyone on the road was alright with hitting people and I would prolly be a LOT more cautious walking home. Or running home.

But all that is because hitting a human is unusual. Would you be any more upset with a strange human in the road than a strange cat? Supposedly bonding with humans is just plain stronger and there is a sterotype that you need to stand up for your own species. Same reason some people are so intrigued by monkeys, a human's closest relative. [Egomaniacs] I bet a monkey would be remove from the road. But what would I know? I don't live in South Africa. It would be interesting to find out.

I was imagining though, if it was my friend in the road. My small friend who I could drag out of the road. Drag him/her to side. Sob. How dare the world! The world so cruel as to hit and kill my friend without even the decency to stop and check if they are okay or pull him/her out of the road! My poor human...my poor cat...

But everyone is bias to their own species, at least every human. I don't like to think I am but I am clearly bias to some species as demonstrated by my feline-favoritism. But I know a rabbit or dog could be my friend just as much as a cat will. I just have generally more respect for cats. Sometimes more than the people who kill them.

Such as a cat or a dog and it's owner starving to death. What have you ever ever heard of a pet attacking it's owner for food. So rare you don't hear it. But how many times have you heard of an explorer or some other person killing thier animal friend...to save themselves. Too many. How can they live knowing that they have killed their friend for their personal gain? It's not just because the animal is smaller, I am sure some dogs are plenty capable of killing and eating their owners and I bet the same would go for a cat of equal size [we're talking about an actual cat friend not some random hungry tiger].

It's just depressing that we can kill our friends and each other's friends so easily and without reprecussion so long as they are not human.

3 comments:

veg said...

I heard about one of those stereotypical old ladies with tons of cats being eaten by her cats when she didn't feed them (not sure if that was because she was already dead or what). I don't remember where I saw the article, but I'm pretty sure that kind of thing happens in those cases where the pet just isn't getting food.

Nealix said...

/Sonbanmatsu

Anonymous said...

i doubt that all those cats were bonded to their 'owner'